Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Do You Believe You are Awesome?

A healthy self-image is something that psychologists will tell you is a good thing.   Of course, there are people who take it too far and get a little carried away... I'm probably accused of that at times .... but a healthy self-image is a gift.

But it's one of those things that you really don't have control over.... at least to start with.  It's kind of like metabolism, which if you know me well, you know I have issues with.   People who can eat whatever they want and not gain a pound .... well, let me just say that that is WRONG.  I'm not going to name any names here, but REALLY, PEOPLE!   

I remember about five years ago when Wilson was eating a super-sized triple whopper combo at lunch and I said to Bart, "Why is it that Wilson can eat anything he wants and not gain a pound and I can't eat anything without gaining Wilson.  Wilson overheard us and said, "Because God loves Wilson."  Little punk  :-)

THAT IS NOT TRUE.  I mean, yes, God loves Wilson, but He also loves of all of us who smell a triple whopper and gain 3 pounds.  He made us all.  And why He chose to have people have different metabolisms is beyond me.  But I digress.

Self image is the same thing.  Initially it is given to you by your parents and you didn't choose them.   It could be that your parents did not have the skills to instill it in you, or maybe they were in a bad situation during the first few years of your life that didn't allow them to give you the attention that you deserved.  Or possibly they did a great job, but you had a particularly bad adolescence and it was crushed.

You can't control the things that happened to you, but you can recognize one thing.    God made you glorious.   He made you awesome.  He made you wonderful.  He created you to be awesome.   All of life is a journey to learn that, to embrace it, to let it become part of who you are...

So today, if you aren't feeling so awesome, that doesn't matter much, because regardless of how you feel, you are.

Period.

 

No comments: