Thursday, November 16, 2017

Is it OK?


Last night I was tired.   Really tired.  I had put in three very full days in a row and it hadn’t been a great day.   I had a headache, was troubled by many things, and decided to listen to Christian radio and pray my way home.

Suddenly I heard these words:
This world is not what it was meant to beAll this pain, all this sufferingThere's a better place waiting for me
I had to admit that tears filled my eyes.   I realized that this was the kind of day when heaven sounded pretty good.

Up until my friend Tom died on September 4th I didn’t think about it much, but for some reason that was a turning point for me and I think about heaven more than I used to.  Maybe it was because Tom lived a lifestyle similar to mine …. worked all the time and didn’t pay attention much to his health and he died way too soon.  Suddenly.  Before any of us were ready.

Maybe it was because that was one more person on the other side waiting for me. Since Tommy has gone to be with Jesus, I have missed my dad more too.  I have had several people that have been close to me in the past move on to heaven in the last six months.   This has all made me realize something.

For all of us, unless we die quite young, there is a tipping point where there are suddenly more people we love in heaven than here on earth.  My mom is 88 and she can definitely say that.  That doesn’t mean she doesn’t live life to the fullest here, but she will be ok when she gets to join them.

Secondly, God created us to age and to become less satisfied in our earthly bodies.  The pain, the memory loss, the challenges of daily all increase as we grow older.   I think it is because He wants us to see that there definitely is a better place waiting for us.

I used to think it was kind of morose for people to talk about wanting to die and that it was somehow unchristian.  But there are days when it just may be that it is most Christian of all to long for home.  That’s what God created us to do.  





No comments: