Monday, January 29, 2018

Can He Keep Me From Going Under?


One of the things that I have learned in my journey is that no matter how bad my life seems, there are others who are dealing with worse things.  And our current situation with Bart's foot, while it seems overwhelming, is nothing compared to what others are facing.  But it is still stressful and exhausting nonetheless.

In case you haven't heard,  On Christmas Eve a poinsettia fell on the top of Bart's foot.  After weeks of pain I convinced him to go to urgent care.  They took X-rays and said it wasn’t broken.   They did say he had an infection and gave him antibiotics.   By Sunday the 21st it seemed worse not better.  

We went back to urgent care and after a 3 hour wait they gave him stronger antibiotics and a shot in the butt.  Cellulitis was the diagnosis. Told him to come back Wednesday the 24th and they gave him another shot and a stronger prescription and told him to come back in two days.  Friday he got two shots and and an even stronger antibiotic.  

Yesterday a physician in our church pulled him aside after worship and after a lengthy discussion told him he needed to get an MRI to rule out osteomyelitis.   When he described that we were pretty scared.  

They took new X-rays at the ER and it turns out there were several fractures after all.  And now they have separated and he has Lisfranc fractures and will need surgery.  There is no sign of infection... apparently walking on a foot with multiple fractures causes swelling on its own.  

Too much swelling to do surgery yet.  He is in a cast and has a walker.  We see the surgeon tomorrow at 1:45.

If you know our family system, you know this means that I have gone from doing basically nothing around the house to doing everything I possibly can on top of trying to keep up with commuting and my job.

This morning as I was driving I heard this song, which is one I have heard and probably shared before.  But the line that struck me was this:   Can He find me here?  Can He keep me from going under?

Of course, the answer is a resounding yes.   God can find us wherever we are and can keep us from going under — regardless of how petty or how extreme our current situation is.    If we feel like we are sinking, He’s got us.

So… have a listen and remember, no matter what, He’s got you.




No comments: