Friday, January 05, 2018

It’s all a Matter of Perspective


Some friends and I are reading through the Bible chronologically in 2018 and that means we are reading Job.   A facebook post in the group of us that are committed to this said something like this:

I am realizing by reading through the book of Job that my life isn’t nearly as bad as I think it is sometimes.  Job had it REALLY bad and I need choose to praise God in all things.

This is so true.  It’s all a matter of perspective.  I have a really good friend and when we were in the throws of parenting really difficult children we would have a “bad day contest.”  That means that I would call her at the end of the day and we would compare which of us had the worst day.  It was great because it didn’t matter who did.

If I called her and my day was worse, I won the contest!   

If I called her and her day was worse, I felt good that I wasn’t her!

Because really it’s a matter of perspective.   We all have things that come into our lives that are less than pleasant and we have to maneuver them.   The secret is being able to hold on to hope, see the good in what happens, and believe that God is on the throne.   

I would like to introduce you to a series of songs today about the book of Job.   Today just listen to the first section if you don’t have time for it all.   My favorite line in this song is this:
And yet through it allThrough the tears and painHe worshiped his God, found no reason to blame
May we be able to do as Job did….. through tears, through pain — worship and not blame!

No comments: