Wednesday, June 05, 2019

We're All Different (and that's OK)


One of the things that I geek out on is personality assessments.  I am fascinated about how we are all wired differently and how God has gifted us in different ways.   I am particularly grateful for that every night when I come home and find my husband whistling in the kitchen excited about the privilege he has to cook for his family.  If that was my task I would be crabby every.   single.   day.   

I am also grateful at work that there are people who balance me out and can help me be better.  When I was younger people who were deliberate and methodical and perfectionistic used to drive me up a tree until I realized that without them my fast-paced (what my husband would call careless and reckless) quick decisions and "pushing through quickly" style leads me right off a cliff.

The trick is not that we each want to be like someone else, but that we focus on the gifts God has given us and choose to be the best we can at who God called us to be.  Paul says it in Romans 12:

We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your[a] faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach;  if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.

So what is your gift?  Are you using it?   Are you doing so diligently and cheerfully?  I hope so, because living that way produces so much fulfillment and joy!

No comments: