Friday, July 05, 2019

What's on your horizon?



There are two kinds two kinds of people in this world:   People who put people into two groups and people who don’t.

OK, that was just to get your attention.

There are two kinds of people in this world:  The ones who see good things ahead and the ones who plan for nothing but the worst.  I’m married to a person who firmly believes that if you expect bad things to happen you’lll never be disappointed.  I argue that it is a really crazy way to live because I always plan on things getting better, otherwise, who could get up in the morning?

Isaiah 40:22 reminds us that it is God Himself who sits on the earth’s horizon.  If that is the case, how can bad things be there?  :-)

The song I’m sharing today has a line it that I love….

it says, “I see grace on every horizon and forever and ever His heart is my home.”

Let me digress for a moment and tell you a story about my son Tony.   He came to live with us when he was 20 months old as a foster son and we adopted him right after he turned 4.   He is now 24 and living in Minnesota.   But this story is one we have told and retold many times and every time the thought and profundity of it makes me cry.  (Here is a picture of him when he was about that age so you can see how cute he was..


When he was four he was getting ready to be baptized.  Bart explained it to him multiple times in four year old language — the pastor will put water on your head and pray for and ask the Holy Spirit to live in you.   And then Jesus will come into your heart and live there forever.  

The day of his baptism arrived and having heard this a bunch of times, Tony knew exactly what was going to happen.  Bart asked Tony, “Tony…. do you know what is going to happen today?”   And Tony said, “YES!   The guy is going to put water on my head and that means that I will live in God’s heart forever!

Wow.  Out of the mouth of babes.  We will live in GOd’s heart forever.

How can we not see grace, positivity and hope on every horizon when we know that our home is God’s heart?




No comments: