Wednesday, October 09, 2019

Every. Single. Morning.


What do you think about when you first wake up?  Often for me I don’t think about something pleasant.  Whatever stress, guilt, burden, struggle that is happening in my life seems to pop into my mind right away as I transition from sleep to the beginning of my day.

This is why these are some of my all time favorite verses from Lamentations 3:

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, 
    his mercies never come to an end;
23 they are new every morning;
    great is your faithfulness.
24 “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,
    “therefore I will hope in him.”

Every day we need God’s mercies to be new.  We need to wake up and realize, after all of the other stuff hits us, that the mercy He offers us is for TODAY, for THIS day.  Maybe we ended yesterday wondering if we could get up again the next day but lo and behold, when we wake up we are faced with His mercies which will get us through yet another day.

Every single morning God’s mercies are new and they are more powerful than whatever you are facing today.

And because these verses are some of my favorites, this song is also my favorite hymn. I learned it as a child and every time I sing it it is a great reminder that through all of the ups and downs of my life, God’s faithfulness has indeed been great and every single morning His mercies have been new for me… for that day … for that situation…. for that trial … for the forgiveness of that sin.  And they will be there tomorrow as well…. and every day after that.  It’s something I have learned to count on.

No comments: