Monday, January 04, 2021

This is a Day of New Beginnings


Before becoming a United Methodist I never had heard this song, and now it is one of my favorites.  We always sing it our first Sunday in a new church and today, at my work, we have a new beginning.   For several reasons we have had to slightly change the name of our organization and so we were all technically fired on December 31st and rehired under the new organization.   And thus today, our first day back to work, is work day one of the new organization.  I also just completed my fifth year here, which is hard to believe.   

Here are the lyrics to the song if you were wondering how they went.

This is a day of new beginnings,
time to remember, and move on,
time to believe what love is bringing,
laying to rest the pain that's gone.


For by the life and death of Jesus,
love's mighty Spirit, now as then,
can make for us a world of difference
as faith and hope are born again.


Then let us, with the Spirit's daring,
step from the past, and leave behind
our disappointment, guilt and grieving,
seeking new paths, and sure to find.


Christ is alive, and goes before us
to show and share what love can do.
This is a day of new beginnings;
our God is making all things new.

The truth is that God is always making things new.  One of my favorite verses of Scripture is in Isaiah 43:19 and it says:

See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.

As you ponder your year, what is the new thing you are hoping God will do?


No comments: