Tuesday, August 19, 2008

PTSD and Me

I finally stopped myself today and gave myself a talking to. I was all anxious, waiting for something bad to happen, and I had to remind myself that everything was fine. Enjoy the moments when nothing bad is happening. Seems like an easy thing to do, but really it isn't.

This is what it can do to you after a while... when you experience stress for years at a time, always on high alert, always waiting for the next rage, the next phone call, the next verbal attack, the next surprise misbehavior.... And then it comes and you deal with it and then you sit and wait for the next one.

We haven't had all that many lately, but I still sit and wait for it. But I'm getting better at telling myself that things are OK and that it's all going to be fine.....

and then letting go of it and moving on.

It's working for me... for the most part.

No comments: