Monday, July 06, 2009

Perpetual Conflicted Frustration

OK, I'm angry this morning. Not at the world, but at myself and at the fact that there are only 24 hours in any given day and I am attempting to pack too much into them.

First of all, I weighed myself at the Y this morning when I went with Kari and I"m sure most of you don't even want to click over and find out about that, but that was AFTER I had nearly killed myself tripping over baskets of laundry that were Rand's chore to move last night. He wasn't required to do anything yesterday around here. I just let him have his Sabbath -- except everyone has a chore they do every day. If someone doesn't do their part, it's like a Jenga game when the last piece is pulled out. Everything starts to spiral from there. Almost everyone else in the house (with the exception of Dominyk), even Ivan, our summer guest, does there chores without too much hassle. But for some reason Rand just can't or won't do what he is supposed to do.

I have a huge pile of stuff I need to do today and I really wanted to have a lot of positive energy to start my day. I now have energy, but I'm not sure how positive it is.

I am very grateful to have the opportunity to work from home, but if you don't do it, you don't know what a difficult trick it is to do so. You never have to leave home, but you never get to leave work. And the things that need to be done around the house distract from the things you need to do for work and vice versa. I am sure there are people who have the whole thing balanced out perfectly and separate things out by hour, etc, but my guess is that most of us who parent, work from home, and attempt to manage a household fall into my category of .... hmmm... what would be a good phrase ... perpetual conflicted frustration. My only saving grace is that I am not a perfectionist or I'd be insane by now.

I have been working on this post for almost an hour in the midst of jumping from thing to thing. I better just hit Publish and get on with my day....

No comments: