Monday, December 21, 2009

just another manic Monday

Except that nobody is manic. In fact, nobody is up, which means it will not be a good morning. I have a group of teenagers who will not go to bed when I tell them to. There are 3 of them who can get themselves out of bed without my help. They are 14, 15, and 16. I have a 14 year old and 13 and 10 year olds who ask me to wake them up. And then I have 18 and 19 year olds that can't seem to figure out how to get up. They won't ask me to wake them up and they won't go to bed when I suggest it's time. So I always tell them, "If you can't go to bed at a proper hour, then don't expect me to make sure you wake up." Tough love, parenting with love and logic, common sense.

I get tempted to wake them up because it makes MY morning better. But I am to the point now where I am going to have to let them experience their consequences instead of preventing myself from having some. I will let them later wake up in a panic and then I'll have them work to pay me back for the extra ride. I would think they need to learn the skill of getting themselves out of bed before they leave my home. Assuming they ever do.

But now it's time to medicate Dominyk. I have misplaced a prescription and cannot find it, had the wrong one filled, and thus he will be on a slightly different dosage of his medication today. I hope the school can handle him.

I'll let you know how it all goes.

No comments: