Sunday, January 31, 2010

And then there were 15

Today the Fletcher contingency consisted of 2 parents and 15 more -- 10 kids, a grandkid, a boyfriend, two girlfriends, and a best friend. Church was very nice -- having Gabby on my lap for most of the service. After church most of us headed out to eat and more and more of us kept coming in.... it was actually kind of fun to start seeing our family growing -- and envisioning us in the future with more inlawish type people to love -- whoever they are.

I am noticing myself changing as my kids become adults one by one. I am a lot less about thinking I can change their thinking and all about how I can be part of their lives now without causing them more stress than they are already facing. Some of them have chosen (not necessarily intentionally) difficult roads and I used to try to remind them and teach them and all that jazz... now I just offer a listening ear and advice only when asked. If by 18 they didn't get what I was trying to say, repeating it now isn't going to help.

So we are heading out.... hope to fill you in more later.

1 comment:

Other Mother said...

You said, "I am a lot less about thinking I can change their thinking and all about how I can be part of their lives now without causing them more stress than they are already facing." This is the lesson you taught me. God knew I needed you in my life, because without knowing this truth, things around here would not be the same. -K