Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Someone Slipped Something Into my Drink


and I didn't sleep well at all. I am very careful never to have caffeine after about 2 p.m. because I know it will keep me from sleeping. But Dominyk made me a glass of tea last night around 7:30 and told me it was decaf. He was so cute last night -- he's always very careful when the baby is here to be quiet -- when he's thinking about it anyway -- so I was holding her and he thought maybe I would be thirsty. Little did I know that he slilpped caffeine into it unawares...

I've been meaning to blog about Bart and my dinner with Wilson on Sunday. On Sunday afternoon anyone who wanted to could go to the movies with us -- except Wilson -- because there were no PG movies showing at the theatre we wanted to go to. We figure that if the film raters in this less than moral culture say kids of certain ages should not watch certain movies, we certainly shouldn't bypass that ... and thus, we hold to the ratings. But we promised Wilson that we would do something special with him alone that night while everyone else was in youth group.

Usually he sits quietly and listens to Bart and I without saying much, but we were apparently kind of morose in our conversation because he piped up and said, "The world is fun for me." We stopped dead in our tracks and just looked at him -- so incredibly cute and truly still lost in the joy of childhood. We had a few minutes to feel great about providing him with permanency and allowing him to live a carefree life before he went on to explain that when we all went to Valley Fair this summer, he actually went on the rides, while we sat and did nothing because the world wasn't fun for us. But even though the reason he said it was fairly shallow, the fact that he does feel that way is a pretty deep concept in a world of adopting older kids who come from a world that wasn't all that fun.

Later in the conversation I was talking to Bart about something I had done or said and concluded with, "I think I'm funny." Apparently my voice had been a bit over zealous, because Wilson just looked up at me and said, "I think you're loud."

I continue to get in John's girlfriend's face and ask her if I scare her and it gives me inward satisfaction....

Last night Sadie and I had a breakthrough conversation..maybe. We'll see how today goes.

And now, with less than 5 hours of sleep, I'm off to face my day. Thanks Dominyk, for slipping that caffeine into my drink last night!

3 comments:

Miz Kizzle said...

Why do you keep asking if she's scared of you? You know she is. Maybe she's hesitant around older people that she doesn't know well. She probably doesn't "get" your sense of humor. If so, she probably dreads every encounter with you.

Claudia said...

Oh no, she laughs. She thinks it's funny. I'm really pretty easy to get along with. Sometimes though, in the blog world, there are people who don't quite get me, but usually, in person, people do fine...

Kathleen said...

I TOTALLY get your getting in her face about being scared of you. I would SO do that.

My bio dd20 (attached and achieving firstborn, junior in college, very appropriate with boundaries) had a bf for a while who was afraid to come into our house - and he'd never even met us - didn't want to. I told her I wanted her to text me sometime when they were dropping by for her to pick up something and hubby & I would sneak out to his car, I'd get in front with him, and hubby would "confront" him about his intentions at the driver's side window. She never did but we laughed about it a lot - and we all knew he wasn't forever material 'cuz no way would she spend her life with such a wimp! LOL