Sunday, May 09, 2010

Today's Strategy

Cindy blogged this morning that her kids' behaviors are nuts and linking to Corey's blog with a cute video and I was suddenly fairly grateful that even though the kids were making snide remarks yesterday and have barely mentioned the day, they aren't being really obnoxious.

I have decided that I will simply accept any positive expression to me today for what it's worth and be grateful for it, and that I will not allow myself to respond cynically inwardly. I don't know if any of you ever do that, but I have plenty of cynical responses to words my kids tell me that seem empty considering their behaviors. But today I'm going to squelch them and accept them for what they are.

After church we are going to go out to eat where I want to go. Fortunately it is a place that most of them like, and we will go early enough to beat the rush, so hopefully that will be a decent experience.

At 3:30 I'm driving half way to meet Salinda and Gabby and possibly Salinda's boyfriend. Salinda initiated the idea and I really would like to see her and my granddaughter on Mother's Day. I had originally accepted the idea that I might not see them, so this is a nice surprise. I had sent her a Mother's Day card and had heard nothing from her until late yesterday afternoon when we planned todays afternoon meeting. This morning at 6:58 she texted me "happy mother's day. I love you." And I'm just going to accept that for what it is....

Low expectations. Ignoring my own cynicism. Accepting positive comments for what they are. Happy Mother's Day to me.

No comments: