Wednesday, May 26, 2010

"You're Not Like Everybody Else"


My husband says that to me often. And I don't disagree. I don't WANT to be like everybody else. In fact, I want to be unforgettable.

A wonderful little girl who has turned into a lovely young woman (I spent time daily with her when she was 12 and 13) was trying to explain me to her husband and she said, "Claudia isn't a person. She is an experience." I want that on my tombstone.

Anyway, being me allows me to enjoy my husband's sense of humor. For example, he often complains about how much I jar the bed when I roll over. He refers to me often as walrus-like in that context. Last night he sent himself into gales of laughter by remarking, "You know, if you were in the arctic, you'd have to be worried about getting hit in the head with a hammer and drug off to be skinned."

Being like me also makes me committed to the concept of being unforgettable. Take Justin at the Y, for example. He is a cute little college student who works MWF in the early shift and so I see him often and have for a couple years now. I love to give Justin a hard time.

This morning, in front of a lobby full of people, I said something to the effect of, 'You know, Justin, I tell my kids that you think I'm hot." He replied, "I know you do. They asked me the other day and I told them that I do." And I said, "Yup you just don't see a body like this every day."

Monday I asked him if he could carry me to my car after my workout. He said it wasn't in his job duties.

Friday I think I'm going to ask him if he thinks I'm a cougar.

Last night there was a big ordeal that involved lying about going to a park that has a lake with no lifeguards. I was trying to explain why that was dangerous to Tony and ended up doing an impersonation of a person lying on a table, unable to talk or move because of a near drowning accident. It was hilarious to me. But I know it is completely inappropriate and would have traumatized someone who had that happen to someone someone close to them. But for some reason those really inappropriate things make me laugh so hard when I am in a certain mood.

I'm heading to pick up my daughter, granddaughter, and the baby's father for a couple days today. Sadie took the picture above last week. I can't believe how fast she is growing up.

Going to be a long day. Plenty of potential stressors. But I CAN curb my anxiety. I AM in control of my emotions. I can do this, as Cindy says, one day at a time.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Funny you mention the A word. I'd been talking with both Sarah and Yolie lately about it, it seems to be in the air and hard to fight, isn't it? But heck yeah, you are incredibly unforgettable, and I love that about you.