Monday, September 06, 2010

I Needed This Today

Cindy's post today, which linked to this devotional, was so needed to day. Bart and I have been having some similar questions lately in regards to why we did what we did. Are we really going to make a difference?

But as Cindy, quoting the devotional, points out, we don't know where the river will lead. In addition, the suggestion is made that we don't even need to KNOW where the outflow will lead.

I'm a control freak. I want to know what is going to happen. I want some kind of guarantee that what I'm doing is making a difference. But we must leave the results to God. And we must overcome the obstacles that come our way. To totally copy (or re-emphasize) Cindy's thought, the devotional continues

A river is victoriously persistent, overcoming all barriers. For a while it goes steadily on its course, but then comes to an obstacle. And for a while it is blocked, yet it soon makes a pathway around the obstacle. Or a river will drop out of sight for miles, only later to emerge again even broader and greater than ever. Do you see God using the lives of others, but an obstacle has come into your life and you do not seem to be of any use to God? Then keep paying attention to the Source, and God will either take you around the obstacle or remove it.


I have to hold on to that as we begin a school year with a house full of children/adults who I often see as making it impossible for me to live a life of joy or blessing. They are simply making my river stronger as they block my path and I must find new ways beyond the struggles of today.

Thanks, Cindy. And Oswald Chambers. I really needed that today.

No comments: