Thursday, December 30, 2010

Family Movie Night.

Last night we had a family movie night with required attendance at the request of my mother, who though they haven't seen her often, my children love and respect. She and my dad had sent "Letters to God" as a Christmas gift and asked that we watch it together. Everyone did very well watching it together and there wasn't much stress at all for that 90 minutes. Before the movie we had a family meeting where I announced my new job and explained the need for cooperation teamwork and shared responsibility. After the movie I had immediate refusal to cooperate and lost it, having a lovely little embarrassing meltdown. I just don't understand the ones who are not battling mental health issues and why they can't simply do the one thing requested of them each day.

There are actually two of our kids, Leon and Ricardo, who have it figured out. It you just do what you are supposed to do Mom will shut up. She will say nice things to you. She will like being with you. So Leon 99% of the time does what he is supposed to do. Ricardo, about 90% of the time when he is home... without asking.

The rest of the kids make everything such a huge battle! I'm probably going to stop fighting it once I am back to working two jobs. It seems to be counter-productive when I try.

But anyway, we had a nice movie night, followed by a classic mom fit, and then bed. This morning, back at the Y and at my office for the next to the last time. Trying to wrap up a few things for PFRC before starting with Downey Side next week.....

Oh, yeah, one more thing. Remember this? Well, unexpectedly, as a gift for our family at Christmas, we received a box of Australian goodies last night. A calendar, a story book, several koala keychains, and then chocolate of various kinds, shortbread cookies, and even some special cooking sauce for Bart. The kids had fun opening it and we were able to share it with StarBUCK (????) and Kari last night before we had dinner.

SO it was a real good night, interspersed with some not good nights.....

1 comment:

Penelope said...

I'm currently reading Setting Limits by Robert Mackenzie - the kids argue because they know if you give once, you may give in again if they argue enough. Stick to your guns!