Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Daily Affirmations with Claudia Fletcher

So, on the way back from the Y today we're talking about Sam's book which I was telling her about as if she had never heard about it and she was acting that way too but hey, now I'm realizing that I just blogged about it so that means that Kari is either a) being nice and letting me repeat myself, b) not reading my blog, or c) reading what I write and immediately forgetting about it like a person who looks into a mirror.....

Anyway, I digress.

So we were talking about that and she mentioned Saturday Night Live's
Daily Affirmations with Stuart Smalley. You know, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and, doggonit, people like me." "I deserve good things. I am entitled to my share of happiness. I refuse to beat myself up. I am attractive person. I am fun to be with."

It reminded me of tapes my mother used to listen to back in the seventies where you were supposed to repeat after the person on the cassette. "I feel healthy, I feel happy, I feel terrific."

The affirmation phase was certainly a fad but you know, telling ourselves positive things about ourselves isn't a bad thing. I just did a search for a quote on my blog that I thought for sure I had put here, but I'm not seeing it so I want to share it with you... If it's repeat, I don't apologize. It was quoted by Nelson Mandela. It was in the movie Coach Carter. It was in the movie Akeelah and the Bee -- both of those great movies. And today, as your daily affirmation, I want you to read it with me.


Our Greatest Fear

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us.

We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world.

There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.

And as we let our own light shine,we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.

As we are liberated from our own fear, Our presence automatically liberates others.

—Marianne Williamson


I invite you to shine with me today which will free others, especially our kids, to do the same. How about it?

1 comment:

Penelope said...

I love Stuart Smalley. Especially when he tries to convince Michael Jordan not to feel bad about not being a good basketball player. :)

A nice positive post. I like it!