Saturday, June 10, 2006

Can't or Won't Learn

I’ll leave this child nameless because what I say will incriminate. :-)

When we were packing, Bart pointed to the table where the pile of bolts for the kitchen table were laying. “Put those somewhere really safe where you will know exactly where they are tomorrow when we unpack.”

Of course, tomorrow came and he had no idea where they were. No, we shouldn’t delegate stuff like that, we realize that, but it was a pretty crazy day.

So the day the movers came they asked for them so they could put the table back together. I said to him, “You need to find them or putting the table back together will be your responsibility.” He couldn’t find them.

Yesterday I found them, wrapped up in tin foil -- looking just like a ball of foil that could easily have been thrown away, tossed in the bottom of a box full of kitchen utensils. I called to him and said, “Now you need to go put the table back together.”

This morning, I found the foil pouch on the table, still full of the nuts and bolts, wrapped up so that it looked like trash again.

This child is not young. He is on the B honor roll. But he has passive ODD. His IQ isn’t high, but it isn’t in the MMR range either. So, my question is, “Can’t or Won’t?” In fact, that is my constant question most of the time. Can’t or won’t?


No comments: