Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Definition of a Good Day


My email to my Residential Care Staff turned into a blog entry.  Here it is:

Don’t you love it that God’s mercies are new every morning?  That he gives us a fresh start every single day with the sunrise?   The hymn “Great is They Faithfulness” is one of my top favorites and it comes from these verses...

Lamentations 3:22-23King James Version (KJV)

 It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.  They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.

Yesterday was a long day… a day that started with it taking 30 minutes to get to the door of my townhouse to Red Hill Road, and ending with a great dinner with the Cruzes… and I didn’t get home until 9.   Wrote some emails… talked to my husband…. fell into bed completely spent.

But right before I went to bed I realized that this is exactly the way I want to live.  I want to give my life for something that matters.  I want to have meaning in every conversation.  I want to be surrounded with people like you who share my passion — I want to be right in the center of God’s will for me.  

Sure, there are a lot of ways that I could have been spending my day yesterday that would have resulted in me not being emotionally spent at the end of the day.  But if that kind of life lacked the things I just mentioned, and I had the choice, I’d choose this life any day.

I love this quote by Marilyn Pay Hinkley:

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, “Wow what a ride!”

I wrote on my Facebook page last night, for those who didn’t see it, my definition of a good day:

What's the definition of a good day? A good day is when you go to bed knowing that you have done your best... that you have used your gifts and skills to make a difference... that you have taken at least a few steps forward even if there were a couple back...that you have lived life and done your job with people you love and trust ... that you have believed that God is in control and have left the results to Him. I'm heading to bed tonight proud to be part of a team that lived a good day.

I trust that today we will each live a good day.  And all through it I encourage you to commit doing doing what the writer of this song does:

No comments: