Tuesday, November 08, 2016

I Can't Take It Anymore: My Opinions on The Election

I have kept my mouth shut the entire election, and I just can't take it any more. I've got to speak out.

If you think I'm going to tell you who I voted for, you're wrong. I don't want to know who you voted for either.

But I do want us to take some time to ask ourselves some pretty serious questions.

2nd Chronicles 7:14 tells us:

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

I have to ask myself whether or not the opposite is true....

What if we, His people, who loosely call ourselves by his name, are everything but humble and spend more time posting our opinions on like than we do praying and seeking God's face, will God NOT do as He promised.

I have seen so many people this election use the name of Jesus and their perception of His agenda to bash another candidate, that it shames me. Christians have made it very clear that somehow my very faith is dependent on who I voted for in this election.

I am saddened that my children have heard one person in the media present their views strongly about one issue that a candidate supposedly is either for or against and they are going to vote based on that. I am saddened that religious leaders have endorsed one candidate or the other when they insinuate that all Christians will vote that way.

I have not seen humility. I have not seen people who admit to honestly praying and seeking God's face as their primary focus. I have seen pride. I have seen hatred. I have seen anger.

And that is unacceptable to me. It would be one thing if the pride, anger and hatred had come from people who do not claim to be Christians. We expect that of those who don't know Jesus. But the fact that it is coming from within the church blows me away.

And so, if you have not done so yet this election season, maybe it's not to late.

Do this with me:

Humble yourself.
Pray.
Seek God's face.
Turn from any of your wicked ways.

Fortunately, there is another verse that comes into play here.

Romans 3:3-4 says:

What if some did not have faith? Will their lack of faith nullify God’s faithfulness? Absolutely not!

That is a huge comfort to me.

Because it would be a shame if God said, "If my people, who are called by my name, do not humble themselves and don't take time to pray and seek my face,

THEY GET WHAT THEY GET!"

Because if that is the case, "Lord, help us all."

1 comment:

flacius1551 said...

I came to your blog b/c of the foster care - adoption issue and I think our politics are very far apart. That said, for thirty years I have listened to Christian leaders tell Christians that if you don't vote for a pro-life (by which they mean anti-abortion) candidate you are not a Christian. So single issue voting -- well, live by it or die by it.