Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Sometimes We All Feel Like Mary


I don’t know what it’s like to be a pregnant teenager. In fact, I don’t know what it is like to be pregnant. I don’t know what it is like to be Jewish, or to live in the years B.C., or to have to ride a donkey for my transportation. I don’t know what it is like to draw water from a well, or to have to travel far away by foot to pay taxes.

None of you know most of the things above, though some of you have been pregnant. Some of you don’t even know what it is like to be a woman. But my guess is, that in some of the most difficult times in our lives, all of share the feelings that the songwriter expresses in today’s song in an attempt to convey Mary’s heart.

“This job is too big for me! Why did you choose me? I’m not sure I can do this! I feel so alone! Are you sure someone else shouldn’t have been the one to do this?”

God chose Mary to literally carry His son … in order for Jesus to be born human, He had to have a mother and grow inside another human. So Mary was chosen to carry His son.

Even though it isn’t in a physical way, God has also chosen us to carry His son… to be the one who introduces Him to others.

Whenever I hear today’s song so many of the words resonate with me.

I am waiting in a silent prayer
I am frightened by the load I bear
In a world as cold as stone
Must I walk this path alone?
Be with me now

Do you wonder as you watch my face
If a wiser one should have had my place
But I offer all I am
For the mercy of your plan
Help me be strong
Finally, my heart cries out with Mary:

Breath of heaven
Hold me together
Be forever near me
Breath of heaven
Breath of heaven
Lighten my darkness
Pour over me your holiness
For you are holy

The melody of the song, washes over me every time I hear it. It is beautiful.




And as a Christmas bonus, there have been two Christmases where we were anticipating the birth of grandchildren, and they were great reminders that Christmas is “all about the baby.” If you are new to my blog or don't have a photographic memory, blog entries then you might be interested in checking these out.. The first one was written in 2009 and the second one a year ago.


No comments: