Monday, May 07, 2007

A Somewhat Sick But Ever So Fun Phenomenon

Many of the people I have had to work with over the years to get services for our children have been people that I really like. And considering I don't get out much, I guess it's a way to get my social skills met to a certain degree.

For example, I really like our sons' probation officer (Yes the appostrophe is in the right place -- we do have two sons who share the same P.O.). She is very busy so I try not to call her just becuase she's fun to talk to, but I genuinely like her. In another world, we'd be friends.

And today I am filling out paperwork to get services with a DD Mental Health worker in our county who is also an adoptive parent. I met her in a professional capacity, so we have to maintain certain boundaries, but I genuinely like her. We're even meeting in a coffee shop instead of at my dirty house or her small cubical to get the job done. I'm actually looking forward to it.

So, it's a little weird -- collecting fun people by having kids who need all kids of special help -- but it's one of the number one reasons I'm glad we adopted. We are now surrounded by a bunch of really fun, incredibly great people, we'd never have met otherwise.

No comments: