Monday, October 03, 2016

Vocational Ministry: A Sacred Journey


Vocational Ministry is a career in which someone is paid for working full-time in a Christian organizational setting. So guess what? If you work for a Christian non-profit, you are a vocational minister. It isn't just for pastors any more!

I have been paid in several Christian organization for several years and I have also been paid to do God's work (care for the orphan) by non-Christian organizations. And every time I viewed it as a calling... not a job. I have always felt that I am truly blessed to be able to be paid to do what I am passionate about -- and to do what God has asked me to do fun time and not have to fit it in around my career.

Similar to the pastor's wife sacred journey, those of us who work in vocational ministry have a front row seat to God's miracles. It means getting deeply involved in the lives of people who are hurting and see them change. Transformation takes place, with God at the helm, and we get to be a part of it!

I spent six months of my professional life not working in a non-profit organization. I was a temporary secretary at an insurance company. It drove me crazy to walk into a building and to see people around me knowing that they were only there to make money and to help other people make money. These were executives -- not the people who actually met with people to talk about insurance -- they simply crunched numbers. And they made sure that they came in at the last possible moment, took their full breaks and lunch, and left as soon as they could -- packing up to leave 20-30 minutes before the end of the day. I never met a person who was passionate about what they did... which is understandable.

This is not to say that God doesn't call people to work in those kind of organizations. Many are called to be salt and light in places that are anything but "ministries." But I found it to be the most unfulfilling six months of my life.

Grant it, there is a price to pay. The stress is higher when lives are at stake. Work up close and personal with hurting people is a difficult thing. But the rewards are amazing.

If you are a "vocational minister" take some time today to thank God for the privilege. It is truly a sacred journey.

No comments: