Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Do you want to live a three verse life?

If you could choose to told that you were like any Biblical character out there, who would you choose?  Obviously, Jesus is the first answer that comes to mind for most of us.

That reminds me of a story about a little four year boy who was up front for the children's sermon and the pastor held up a picture of a squirrel.   He asked, "What is this?" and little boy said, "I know the answer is supposed to be Jesus, but it sure looks like a squirrel to me!"

So, yes, the answer is always Jesus.  But if He were not in the running, who would you choose?  There are obviously some we'd rather not be identified with.  Nobody wants to be told that they remind someone of Jezebel, or Judas, or Pharaoh, or Pontious Pilate, or Judas.

Would you like someone to tell you that you remind them of Moses, or King David, or the Apostle Paul?  How about Queen Esther or Solomon? There are so many great ones to pick from.

But yesterday I decided that I didn't want to be like Abdon.  Here is all that the Scripture says about him in Judges 12:
Abdon son of Hillel, from Pirathon, led Israel. He had forty sons and thirty grandsons, who rode on seventy donkeys. He led Israel eight years (from 1063BC-1058BC, in case you were wondering). 15 Then Abdon son of Hillel died and was buried at Pirathon in Ephraim, in the hill country of the Amalekites.
That's it.  His whole life and the eight years he was a leader all summarized in four sentences.   Basically he had a lot of kids, he had a lot of donkeys, and he died.

To contrast that, the next THREE chapters of Judges are about Sampson.   All the great things he did and all the stupid things he did, but at least his life was worth three chapters instead of three verses.

If an account is being written of our lives here on earth, I want mine to say more than that.  Even if it isn't all perfect, I want to do something with my life.   

I want to live a three chapter life.  I want my life to count. 

No comments: