Sunday, April 23, 2006

Safe in Dallas (but is Bart safe at home?)

My flight was fine -- everything went very smooth. I even had a chance to stop on my 4 hour drive at our new house for a nap as I had planned more time than I needed.

John, however, as I always worry he will, has had quite a day. Just today he has managed to:

Tell Salinda that he bought cigarettes;
Take Jimmy into the van and start it (with a key, we believe, he stole from us, but he says he started it with a hanger);
Light play money on fire and throw it in the air, a piece of which landed on Tony and burned him;
Tell people who are "junking" (It's junk days in our town) that they could take Tony's bike, even though we just paid $40.00 to get it fixed;
Move his stereo to the Dining Room and turn it on full blast, refusing to respect Bart's request to turn it down;
Light a candle by sticking a piece of paper into a toaster and filling the house with smoke; and
Showing Jimmy a cigarette he intended to smoke.

This is all between 2:00 and 9:15 today.

There just aren't answers that make sense as to what we should do. I know that everyone has their opinions, but when he is in this "mood" it is difficult to redirect without a major blow up. We will ask his therapist on Friday what his recommendation is.

it's very very hard not to feel like a complete failure... first Mike and now maybe, after fighting for two long years, we may not be able to keep John home either.

I even offered him a substantial reward to do what he was supposed to do this week... guess that didn't work.

And even though he tells me not to, I always feel so guilty for leaving Bart to deal with it all alone.

But at any rate, I'm in Dallas, I'm going to bed soon and will hopefully sleep.

No comments: