Saturday, September 01, 2012

Who Needs a Beer? It Just Doesn't Get Any Better Than This!

Yesterday was right up there in my book of a perfect day. It started early when our new friend Nick, one of our church youth sponsors, drove to our house to head to the fair with us. The boys were sleepy but within minutes Nick was able to get Dominyk talking -- and I even heard a chuckle out of Leon and Wilson who are NOT morning people. We got to the fair and rented a scooter and let me tell you -- I should have done that years ago. I had SO. MUCH. FUN! I was able to have a pain free day.

In the midst of it I realized the extent of my dysfunction as a human because I was able to actually SEE all the stuff at the fair... stuff that I never knew was there because I was constantly looking for the next opportunity to sit down and rest my back. But yesterday, I rested the whole way through. I saw things -- cows, and horses in the barns, cool items in the expo places, and I shared several tasty food items with Bart. Dominyk, for the first time in his life possibly, was able to enjoy an outing like that with nobody teasing him. Leon and Wilson went on his own and Dominyk was thrilled having complete attention from three adults. He didn't obsess, he didn't beg, he just enjoyed his day.

About an hour after we arrived I was sitting in the shade with Bart, sharing some chopped up apples with caramel and nuts and cinnamon ice cream. I remember thinking to myself, "It just doesn't get any better than this." But then it did!

I posted something to my Facebook about being at the fair and I got a text from Sarah saying that her family -- our awesome friends from Mankato -- were at the fair too! We ended up getting to spend a couple hours with them too. It was so good to see them and to have our new life intersect with our old life. I'm wondering if people could hear my sigh of contentment around the world.

Came home -- went to pick up Sadie who was thrilled to announce that she has made it to Level 3 in her Culinary Arts program at Job Corps. There are only 3 levels and she just started May 29th, so she's making good progress. She's very proud of herself. We also got a text from Tony saying he has passed 6 of his 7 tests to get his HSED. He is very proud of that fact.

Last night the group "Testify" of which Sadie is now a part did their "Spiritunality" event -- which is similar to a coffee house. People bring stuff to read, or their laptops, or they just come and sit and the praise team sings for two hours. Great songs, great people. There was an after party at Nick and Joys (yes, the same Nick whose wife lives up to her name but had to work all day and couldn't go to the fair much to our dismay).

Get this: Bart and I were out until 11:30 p.m.!!!!! Our bedtime is 9:30 or 10:00 and there were some Friday nights in Mankato when we were in bed by 9. But apparently we have a new life because last night we WENT to a party that started at 9:30.

I have some pictures from the fair that hopefully I can post -- if I ever find that thingy ... you know, the transfer thingy that the kids keep borrowing.....

It was one of those days where, completely sober, I had more fun that anyone should be allowed to have. It just doesn't get any better than this (OK, it could have been better if Joy had joined us -- and if Mike and Kari had been there. Now THAT would have been perfection).

No comments: