Monday, February 13, 2017

What's your ministry?



Yesterday in Sunday School we watched a video about reconciliation.  When it was over I asked the teacher if we could unwatch it.  Why?  Because I didn’t like what the preacher said and I don’t like what the Bible says.

Second Corinthians Chapter 5 says;

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come:[a] The old has gone, the new is here! 18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation

Andy Stanley who was the preacher dared to say that we are allowed to give up on a relationship with someone else and stop reconciling with them when God gives up on us.   He basically said that the ball is always in our court, and that we need to continue to keep reaching out to offer an opportunity to heal damaged relationships.

I am not sure how this applies to you, but I know there are some kids I need to change my attitude toward.  Because God reconciled Himself to us IN SPITE OF everything we had done, have done, will done.  So the behavior of another person isn’t a good enough reason.

I’m sharing this with you because even though I don’t like it, and you probably don’t either, it’s what the Bible says.  He reconciled us, now WE have the ministry of reconciliation — whether it is in a family relationship, at work, or a racial or national divide… we have been entrusted by God with this ministry.

Ouch.

1 comment:

Beth in the City said...

True, and uncomfortable. For me, it looks like not closing the door on someone who has hurt me. Putting myself out there, to show that love shows up, knowing I might get hurt again. On the other hand, it's pretty important to have some healthy boundaries in place while we leave the door open for reconciliation. I don't know how all the pieces fit together.