Friday, April 09, 2021

Give to Everyone Who Asks of You

 Yup, that's a Bible verse in Luke 6:30.  Pretty intense huh?   I can already hear you saying "but what about......"

I've struggled with this verse many times in my life, particularly when living in Mexico where there were always so many folks who were asking.  Beggars on every corner, small children, single moms, homeless and distraught, asking for a few pesos.

I've also struggled with it as a clergy spouse when we are asked as a church or as a couple to give to someone who needs a hotel night's stay or a ride somewhere.   Many times we knew that there was a chance that we were being scammed but we gave anyway.

I struggle with it now whenever a CarePortal request doesn't go quite as planned because I want resources to go to people who will be able to move forward in their lives because of the gift.

But I have realized in all these situations that I might be missing the point.  What if the verse was nothing to do with the recipient and everything to do with the giver?   

What if the point is that God wants us to give because he wants us to get the blessing that comes from obedience, regardless of whether or not the recipient will do what we want them to do with the gift.

Thoughts to ponder on a Friday.

No comments: