Friday, April 02, 2021

Why in the world would I Door Dash?

I know.  It's weird.   I have a very fulfilling full time job and I don't have to door dash.  So why am I doing it?  What do I like about it?

Well, first of all, I am not doing it alone.  So it gives me windshield time with those who go with me.  It's kind of like immersion therapy or whatever it's called.  If I am with them for extended periods of time I get more acclimated to their thought patterns and they drive me less crazy than if I am only with them periodically. This may not make sense, but it is working.

Secondly, the money they are earning often ends up paying back debt to us -- at least that's a theory.

There are other reasons I'm enjoying it aren't connected to who I do it with.

It has stats.  I love stats.  I love seeing what my percentages is and the challenge of doing it right.  I know, weird, huh?

I also am reminded to be grateful that I have transportation and can easily go pick up whatever I want or need.  A lot of the folks who use door dash don't.

And it humbles me to serve others.  Bart and I had 45 minutes to kill this morning before delivering a CarePortal item, so he drove and I door-dashed.  There was a woman who lives in subsidized housing who had ordered a burger, fries and coke.  Timing worked out perfectly so I was 20 minutes early and the food was nice and hot.      I could tell that she was really looking forward to it -- that it may have been the highlight of the day.   She was so pleased that it was both early and warm.   I told her it was goign to be good -- that I had watched them make it and it was nice and fresh.  She thanked me for being early.  I was gracious and kind to her and I smiled under my mask and wished her a great day.

She could have had a crabby driver with a bad attitude that could have messed it up.  But I wanted her to feel special today.  

I'm also learning a lot more about the city I live in and how to get around in it.  I think Lynchburg is complicated, so it's nice to start putting it together.

Finally, I don't always have a lot to do lately.   Bart is very busy with all kinds of things, I"m trying really hard not to work all the time -- and it's a nice diversion.  I am a little behind on some TV, but I can catch up.

Bart says I like it cuz it's new.  And that's probably true.  I probably won't like it forever.  But right now I"m in line to be a TOP DASHER and if anyone is going to tell me I'm a top anything, I'm going to be excited!

I know.  I know.  I'm kinda nuts.

No comments: