Monday, July 03, 2006

Sunday in Review

I usually don’t go a whole day without blogging, but yesterday was a busy one.

Church was great -- good to get to know more people and even though it was Bart’s second sermon, the lectionary was about stewardship so he preached about giving. I thought he did a great job. The kids were fairly well behaved until after church when they totally disregarded by instructions and I couldn’t find them after coffee, making us late to the picnic.

The picnic was a lot of fun. We were able to connect with a couple of families we knew from the past and the kids seemed to have fun. It was really awesome to see the first generation of kids adopted from there who are now in their twenties and thirties there with their spouses and children.



This is Jimmy with his partner in crime from the orphanage. They were great friends. Hard to believe she is 16 already.




This is a picture of the boys with the orphanage director and her assistant who have been working there since it opened 30 years ago (I know, they don’t look that old). They were both very attached to Jimmy and Ricardo and were thrilled to see them.

The ride home was less than fun, however, as everyone was squabbling. Everyone but John could be redirected, but John had to be threatening and assaultive and then say, “I’ll do what I want? What can you going to do about it? Nothing. That’s what I thought.

I hate it when he does that because when I am in a van, alone with several children, he’s right -- there is nothing that I can do about it that isn’t drastic. However, as I pointed out to him later, what I can do about it is not put myself in that position again, which will greatly limit the number of things he can do.

We came straight home and worked straight through to get ready for our ”Meet and Greet.“ All of the members from our new church have been divided into groups of 20 and will be invited to our home on Sunday evenings to hear our story and tell theirs over the next few months. They are good times but require a lot of work to get things ready. Bart does the baking and shopping, but the kids and I help with cleaning and preparation.

When the people were gone, though, the fun was over as John had to have a meltdown right before bed and Kyle had to have a huge argument with Bart. It took a long time to settle the other kids down.

Most of them are still asleep and it’s time for another day in paradise. I think I’m being a tad bit sarcastic here.


No comments: