Sunday, June 19, 2011

Children are Like Arrows

I am incredibly fortunate. I have an incredible earthly father. He has loved me unconditionally for 47 of his 88 years. I am married to a courageous and wonderful man who is such a good father. And my Heavenly Father has proven to be so very faithful. Now I have two grandchildren who have fathers who are doing their best in tough situations to be good dads.

I love this verse from Psalms:

Sons are a heritage from the LORD,
children a reward from him.
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are sons born in one's youth.
Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.
They will not be put to shame
when they contend with their enemies in the gate.


It's funny that this is the analogy that God would use ... because anyone who has loved a child who has made a bad decision knows the pain it can cause -- a sharp piercing pain, similar to that of an arrow.

Today I am grateful for the fathers in my life.

I rediscovered this song last night and it is so much the theme of the last 15 years for me. I have certainly learned so much about God through the hard times.



It's well worth the time it would take for you to listen to it...

No comments: