Thursday, January 19, 2017

How do you greet people?


Are you one of those people who says "Good morning" even if it isn't a good morning?  Or are you a non-morning person who just grunts when you see someone?

I find it interesting that in may of Paul and Peter both, in writing letters, use as their greeting "Grace and Peace to you."

It got me to wondering what life would be like if I started using that greeting and then actually started listening to myself when I said it.   Because if I am giving you the gift of grace and peace it implies that I am willing to participate in that gift.

If I am wishing you grace, it means that I don't get to judge you harshly.  I don't have the privilege of being able to be critical of you or find fault.  I have to "err on the side of grace" as I am sure you have heard me said or read me type multiple times.

And if I am saying that I want you to have peace, I don't get to stir up trouble.  I don't get to participate in arguments or conflicts that have no resolution.  I must do whatever I can, as far as it depends on me, to be a peacemaker.

One more thing:  The greeting in scripture is often followed "through God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ" or something similar.  Maybe that was a reminder that the only way that we can truly offer grace and peace to someone is if they flow from God through Christ.

I'm not sure if I am going to start saying "Grace and Peace" to everyone I meet out loud, but I think the world would be a better place if we all at least said it to ourselves as we greeted someone.

So, as you start your Thursday:

Grace and peace to you through our God and Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.


No comments: