Monday, March 01, 2021

Anybody met someone that can absolutely not stop arguing?

 One of the things that I have said repeatedly over the years is that it makes no sense to argue with someone who isn't capable of rational thought.   But I have a couple of kids who just can't stop  And apparently I can't either.

I can't stand it when something irrational just gets thrown out there -- something that make absolutely no sense.  I have an inner compulsion to correct that thought ... still ... at 57 years old ... when the person arguing is 30.    

It's a real challenge for me... I have to work hard not to say anything back.  Like really hard.   The more I try not to say something the more agitated I get.

So I guess maybe I am one of those people who absolutely cannot stop arguing. :-)


2 comments:

flacius1551 said...

"You can't win an argument with dementia" is something I've had to learn, painfully. I've thought about this a lot because I don't like verbal confrontations -- so why do I end up in so many of them? I think it's that I can't accept (or else just conveniently forget) the actual state of my father's brain. But it's really true. Dementia always wins. My ultimate strategy has just been to say less and less, but I'm not sure that's really good for me, either.

Claudia said...

I don't envy you. My mom who is almost 92 had quite a bad few weeks a couple years ago because of a UTI and we thought it was dementia. She called often to tell me her cell phone wasn't working. It was crazy. No way to win -- but keeping my mouth shut? Hard!