Monday, December 20, 2010

Depression?

Yesterday I woke up sad. I hardly ever wake up sad. But for some reason all of the thnigs that have been happening with me physically and in our family caught up with me and took me down. I wondered if I was clinically depressed and couldn't shake it for several hours.

But by bedtime I was back to an even keel and could move forward.

We have of course been struggling ever since the unnamed one went to jail about whether or not we should let him move back in when he got out of jail. We both battle so much the idea of not having homeless children that we were having a very hard time making up our mind. But we could not think of a single reason to let him move back in other than that we love him and that we don't want him without a place to go.

The irony though is that on Thanksgiving Day he announced, after living here for eight months and not obeying our rules, continuing to be rude to us and blaming us, and taking advantage of us every day, he said, "I wish I would have adopted by loving and caring parents." This was right after he announced to all of his siblings that they were "F**** up because they had S**** parents. And that was preceeded by his refusing to come have dinner with us and then posting on his facebook that he had to spend Thanksgiving alone. Sad face.

So, he took away the only reason for us to let him move back in. The fact that we are loving and caring people is the only reason we give him chance after chance after chance. We have had to make the decision to not let him live here over and over again. Every time he promises that things will change, and each time his behavior is worse. So, being the "unloving uncaring people" that we apparently are, it's time for us to say no again.

I know there are many of you who have had to make the same choices. They are not easy ones to make. But having made the decision last night, I am feeling better. Not because I like either decision, but because the decision is made.

I want to write him a very long letter explain it all to him, but with his combination of RAD and FASD I'm not sure it would make a bit of difference. But the gist of it is this:

We have two choices.

We have a son who we love who hates us, blames us for everything, uses us, and has no emotional connection to us. We can say he can't stay here and the feel guilty.

OR

We have a son who we love who hates us, blames us for everything, uses us, and has no emotional connection to us. We can let him move back in and have him completely disregard all of our rules, tell us what bad parents we are in front of our siblings, make his siblings anxious and nervous, have him tatooing them, piercing them, and supplying them cigarettes, and have constant battles with stuff that goes missing. We can hear about how horrible we are every time we confront him about something, and we can be told we aren't loving and caring. On a daily basis we can have strangers in our home without our permission, we can have "inscence" burning in our basement, and we can have things going missing. We can be blamed verbally for every mistake he has ever made as he recites "facts" which are completely untrue. WE can be begged and begged to loan him money that he never pays back.

I wish there was a third option. But over and over again for 7 and a half years he has proven that there isn't. No matter what we do we can't get him to respect our rules, appreciate anything we do for him, or even comply with the basics of what we ask.

So we only have two options. We hate both of them with all of our being. But I am not sure that anyone, giving those two options who has a house full of other impressionable kids, could choose the latter.

Should I feel like a hypocrite when I talk about "relationship vs behavior?"

11 comments:

DynamicDuo said...

I feel this way about depression - it is to a certain degree a normal emotion that follows events in our lives, sometimes we can take the moment and wallow in it, then get up get moving and plow forward. It becomes a concern when we can no longer get up and get moving on our own and need help to do so. We only have the ability to control or handle that which we can, at times the situations we face are beyond our abilities and we need help from others... I have a brother who basically is homeless in CA, he is currently staying in a house with other "homeless" men, his choices and inability to accept help and follow through has led him to this point. Only a few in the family would allow him to come "home" as he still refuses to believe there is anything wrong with his actions etc... He is 52 now, at least I know he has a roof over him and he has a cell phone, he calls and checks in periodically when he is in a good place. Its a hard life, but it would seem a life he has chosen.

Marge said...

Claudia, please read Brenda McCreight's post on the 17th, if you haven't already done so. There is a difference between unconditional love and unconditional tolerance. I only wish this had clicked with me about fifteen years ago! You need to do the right thing for you, Bart, and the other kids. You can't continue to ruin your health and your life with the others!

Amy said...

You can sit him down and lovingly tell him you are "freeing him" from the burden of his parents because you love him. We did that once. That having freed him, that you know his life will be so much better for him from now on, now that he can run his life the way he knows is better for him.

That you really look forward to seeing the improvements in his life that he will bring about with his total control of his own life. Tell him that you are giving him the gift of independence.

Congratulate him on being a self sufficient adult now. Assure him that you no longer have any control over him, but in return he must realize that he is now financially responsible for himself, as that is what being an adult means.

Worked for one of our own RAD kids who is now completely a responsible citizen.

Lisa said...

No you should not!!! It is completely possible to love someone with every fiber of your being, but not want them living in your home. It is possible to love the person while hating the behavior, but not wanting the person you love to hurt your other family members (emotionally or physically). We are going to be in the same boat - guaranteed. My 16 1/2 yo son's combination of RAD and FASD (what a combination!!!) gives him the illusion that no matter what he does, it isn't his fault - EVER. He can parrot back just about any profound comment he's ever heard - if it gets him what he's looking for - so he can fool lots of people much of the time. I guarantee that our family will be looked upon as poor white trash after he gets done "telling it like it is" to anyone and everyone once he's out of here and we refuse to allow him back. As it is, he will treat all of us like his personal servants every second, until he realizes his birthday is the next day or Christmas is around the corner and then he just flips a switch and is sweet as can be - until the gifts are opened. I can see him being the kind of person who ignores you all year - until gift-giving day - which, honestly sounds good to me right now. We are never going to be enough for him and I accept that. He hates us and I accept that. He can't wait to get the heck out of here, he'd rather be homeless (his words) than live with us - I accept that as well. I keep hearing how things can change - how they can mature and just make these marvelous leaps into adulthood - well, okay, I'll be the first to say I was wrong if that happens. I don't see it happening for a long....time tho and need to keep my younger kids safe in the meantime.

Our options stink, but they are what they are and I've come to realize there are many things I don't like, that I have to learn to deal with.

tracy said...

Claudia, This is a glimpse into my future. We have a teen just like this, same diagnoses. I am sorry you have to go through this, but selfishly I am glad we are not alone in this experience...it makes it easier to make the tough decisions.

Thank you so much for sharing.
Tracy

Tracy said...

so sorry Clauida. Our son has put us through some of the same stuff and we've had to make the same choice you did. It's very difficult, but "freeing" at the same time. I know you'll get through this valley and back to the sun soon.

FosterAbba said...

I don't think that you should feel like a hypocrite, because the truth is that there are limits to what any parent should tolerate. There comes a point where everyone needs to draw a line and limit the amount of disrespect, violence or criminal behavior that can occur in the home.

In your case, you have to draw limits, not only for yourself, but for the other children in your home. You need to consider the lessons that they are learning as well.

Anonymous said...

He will qualify for supportive housing if he is willing to work with adult social services. They will be happy to feed him, clothe him, house him and give him spending money. Believe me....there is no need for him to be homeless.

GB's Mom said...

You are not a hypocrite. Difficult kids require difficult choices. Wishing you the peace of the season.

Integrity Singer said...

oh hugs, claudia. because sissy will be 11 next week and I can see the writing on the wall. this is where we'll be with her in 6 years, only the likelihood will be that she'll also have a child by then and then my choice to take her in or not take her in will include the well being of a grandchild (which you also know all about)

so hugs
and love
and support
and prayers
and more hugs
love and support
and prayers
and more hugs
and ...

Kim & Misty said...

I have a daughter who lives in a homeless shelter by choice. She refuses to live by our rules and will comply with the rules of a shelter for a short period of time, before getting kicked out, and has been living this lifestyle for the past 5 years. Since she has "moved out" our relationship has been far better than the 2 1/2 years she lived in my house. We talk on the phone, she calls for advice that she never listens to and she tells me she is doing fine and learning for herself everything I tried to teach her! It is crazy when she tells me I was right BUT she isn't ready to live the life that I taught her-- yet. I have realized being homeless does not mean the same thing for my daughter that it does to me!