Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Drinking from a Fire Hose


Have you ever started a job that you were really passionate about where the task was huge and information came at you super fast?  And have you ever been so excited that you can't sleep or awakened in the night with a zillion brilliant answers to the dilemmas you face that don't seem quite as brilliant the next morning as they were at 2 a.m.?    If you have, then welcome to my world.  My coworkers call this season "Drinking from a Fire Hose."

There are so many big things that need to be tackled in my role.  Some of it is historical, some of it is the timing of my arrival (everyone has been waiting for me to come to make any major decisions), and some of it is my perspective as both a parent and a professional that is making my head spin.  My history of kids in residential care is certainly having an impact on every situation I am hearing about here. 

But in the midst of all this there are some VERY good things I want to share about my new job.

1)  The Senior Executive Team is made up of three great men.  They are passionate about serving these children and they are scary smart and gifted at what they do.   They also have great hearts for the kids we serve.    They know how to communicate with one another and they don't avoid conflict.  They are, to quote the ever-so-wise Jeff Carlson who will never read this, always "Honest, Direct and Respectful" in their communications with one another.  They encouraged me immediately to jump into the conversation and offer my ideas and even though is is only day three I solidly feel like I'm part of the team.    I also am very aware of the fact that this is my honeymoon stage, but they have all been so good to Dominyk and I since our arrival.   

2)  The people who all report to someone who reports to someone who reports to me or somewhere in the middle (I suppose i could use the words "people in my down line)" all appear to be eager to be led and to move things forward.   Of course, there will be some who may not agree with my philosophy and we will have to iron that out, but I can already see great potential in the members of my team.

3)  I am still very convinced this is where I am supposed to be.   Each step makes it clearer.   We saw a lay out of the parsonage this week and I laughed out loud.  We finally will have enough space for lots of people (six rooms could be used for bedrooms, two huge living rooms, a porch, two kitchens, etc.) and we will only have 4 of us there -- me only part of the week.  God has a great sense of humor.  

So for those of you who are praying for me -- my Facebook and blog post are real -- as they always have been and always will be -- but please don't interpret them to be negative.  I'm having the time of my life.

This is my sweet spot, even if it's hard to get a good long drink and it's pretty messy when you're drinking from the fire hose.  

No comments: