Saturday, January 02, 2016

The New Normal?

Knock Knock, You About to Get Shell Shocked!
Things are strange.   Not strange in a bad way.  But strange in a good way.

I have a medicine cabinet.  I put my medication, toothpaste, deodorant, etc. in the medicine cabinet and it stays there.   Unless I touch it.  I am not worried about it being touched or stolen.

My bedroom stays exactly as I left it.  I only sleep there.  It isn't my office, living room, sitting room, den, etc.  It's just a bedroom.  With a bed. For sleeping.

I go to bed and nobody wakes me up.  I check in with Dominyk before I go to bed and he leaves me alone.  All.  Night.  Long.

Last night Dominyk went out for pizza with his new friend from next door and I was alone.  Completely.  Alone.  It was very quiet.  It felt weird.  Fortunately it only lasted a couple hours and then they went to his place to watch a movie -- and, since they took over the house, his new friends mom came over to visit for a few hours.  I must confess though, that the aloneness felt very strange.

Dominyk is being reasonably cooperative and helpful, often without being asked.  Knowing that he and I are the only ones here means that we can't leave things for others to do.

I have conversations with my kids and all but one has been very positive.   Of course they aren't in person --  they are by phone calls, texting, or FaceTime, but still they aren't negative.   I even got to sing "Knock Knock You About to Get Shell Shocked" with my grandson Isaac via FaceTime and talk to his mom for a while.

I am sure that as my life fills up with people, work, and other opportunities that come my way, that some of this will change a bit.  I probably won't have much dead time.  But just knowing my toothbrush will stay where I put it is such an awesome feeling.

Bart is trying to get his office packed up and was sick all day yesterday with the flu, so pray that he feels better and gets that done today.  Jimmy and Rand have moved some stuff into their new apartment yesterday.  Things are happening there.

But here, there isn't much happening.  And for now I think that's OK.



No comments: