Monday, May 29, 2017

Is Satan Seducing You?


There's only one time that I could find that the words "Satan .... seduced" in the translation of the Bible called "the Message."   It is in this first verse of I Chronicles 21:

 Now Satan entered the scene and seduced David into taking a census of Israel.

What?   Why in the world would taking a census require the seduction of Satan?   What was the big deal?

The big deal was that David was putting his confidence in his numbers -- in the army that HE had created, not what God had the power to do.  In fact, when David  figured it out, this is what he did:
 “I have sinned badly in what I have just done, substituting statistics for trust; forgive my sin—I’ve been really stupid.”
The more I think about this the more I realize that this is the most important tool of Satan -- to get us to trust in ourselves .... in our ability, in the work we do, in the things we have built .... instead of in God.

At work I'm collecting statistics for a presentation and I realize that it is important to have metrics and to measure progress and success.  But I don't ever want to trust those numbers more than I trust God.

This song is a great reminder that it is God who we should trust, because He will never let us go.




No comments: