Tuesday, May 16, 2017

What's Your Problem?


 

You have problems, right?  I mean I have problems.  I have little problems like how to get my sons to stop peeing on the seat or how to make a spreadsheet do what I want it to.   I have big problems like how to convince people that they want to move to rural Virginia to work on a great staff or how to find housing for a homeless mentally ill son.  

What are your problems?   If you sat down and wrote them all down it might be overwhelming.   But it might be a good exercise at some point ... especially if we wrote lists and prioritized them, recognizing that some of them are quite trivial.


My grandson Carlos is such a great kid.  He's two and a half and just starting to learn to talk, but he is easy to care for because he truly loves vehicles (cars, trucks, tractors, trains) and legos.  He can play with them all day and never get bored.  

But Legos frustrate him sometimes.  The first few times I heard him let out a piercing scream and burst into tears I hurried into the next room to find him heartbroken that he had built the tower too high and it had fallen.  Now I know what that cry is like and I just send reassuring words over to the next room.  "It's OK, buddy, you can build it again."

Combining his two favorite things, vehicles and legos, he has some legos that fit together to form a train.   However, he hasn't quite mastered how to fit them together.   But he quickly figured out how the problem of not being able to fit the pieces together could be solved.  He brings them to grandma or grandpa.   Multiple times a day.  We put them together effortlessly and quickly.   No tears, no crying, no frustration.   And he does it immediately.

You know where I'm going here, right?   What if we realized that God knew how to put our pieces together?  What if instead of getting frustrated and trying to force them together and having our own little tantrums we just took the pieces, the problems of our lives, to Him immediately?

I think this practice would lead to a more peaceful life -- one free of screaming crying lego meltdowns.   And that would be a good thing.

No comments: