Thursday, October 12, 2017

Anything Going Wrong in Your Life?


What isn’t going right in your life?  I’m sure you can find something that isn’t perfect if you look hard enough (just like you can find good things if you look hard enough.)

We don’t know much about Habbakuk, but I’m guessing based on the way that chapter three ends, that before becoming a prophet he must have been a farmer.   Check out all things that he noticed were going wrong:
 Though the cherry trees don’t blossom
    and the strawberries don’t ripen,
Though the apples are worm-eaten
    and the wheat fields stunted,
Though the sheep pens are sheepless
    and the cattle barns empty….
See?  He must have been a farmer.  But even when all that stuff happened this was his response:
I’m singing joyful praise to God.    I’m turning cartwheels of joy to my Savior God.Counting on God’s Rule to prevail,    I take heart and gain strength.I run like a deer.    I feel like I’m king of the mountain!
If I had time today I would love to conjur up some verses that might apply to your work…

Even when the spreadsheets won’t balance…

Even when the kids won’t stop bickering…

Even when we get an important call requiring action at 4:54 p.m.

Even when the phone won’t stop ringing…

Even when there are too many meetings …

Can you make up your own list of things that can go wrong?  But more importantly, can you still respond like Habbakuk?

Can you sing praise, can you turn cartwheels of joy (metaphorically for most of us?)

Can you count on God’s rule to prevail?

Can you take heart and gain strength?

Can you symbolically run like a deer?

And knowing that God is faithful, can you feel like the king of the mountain?

If you can do that, then every Thursday, regardless of what you are going through can be #ThankfulThursday.



No comments: