Friday, October 06, 2017

Unashamed


Long commutes give you time to think.  And sometimes I find myself with a "theme of the ride."  This morning for some reason, I got stuck on all the ways that I'm managed to screw up with relationships in the past 20 years.

Up to that point, I thought I had done a pretty good job with people.... but it might be that I was doing a horrible job and not mature enough to realize it.  Or it could be that I wasn't married and didn't have children, giving me less relationships to screw up.  But nevertheless I have a long list of ways that I have non-intentionally screwed up in the past twenty years... and possibly even a few ways where I knew I should have changed and didn't.  

Needless to say, it wasn't a great ride, even in the midst of the beauty of a Virginia fall (where we will hit 83 degrees this afternoon, which makes me smile because it's not going to hit 83 in Minnesota).   But during the ride, I heard a song and this line stuck out to me:  "Unashamed because of mercy."

Mercy -- not getting what we deserve because of our mistakes -- is God's specialty.   So no matter what we do, we don't have to be ashamed.  We can stand.... boldly approach God's throne even, because of God's mercy towards us.

So even though it wasn't fun to take a mental tour of all of my screw ups, it's great to know that I can be unashamed because of mercy.

You can too.




No comments: