Thursday, October 05, 2017

It starts with the word IF

It seems that we are in quite a season worldwide of multiple tragedies that are co-occuring.  It isn't often that I share the same theme this close together because on September 7th I was talking about the same verse of Scripture.   But if there has ever been a time that we need this verse it is now.

In the Message 2 Chronicles 7:14 says it this way:
If my people, my God-defined people, respond by humbling themselves, praying, seeking my presence, and turning their backs on their wicked lives, I’ll be there ready for you: I’ll listen from heaven, forgive their sins, and restore their land to health. 
When I look back at the past year I do not see a nation where those who call themselves as God's people  have all acted in humility.   I won't reiterate this point, but you may know some of the issues I'm talking about.

God makes it very clear that if we want our land to be restored to health we have to be humble enough to see another's point of view.  We need to pray and seek God ... His face, His presence.   And if there is anything wicked in us, we need to turn our backs on that wickedness.

The things God promises in this verse -- listening, forgiving, restoring our land to health -- are contingent upon a few things.   After all it all starts with the word IF.

Our praise band (ok, that may be kind of a weird thing to call us, but there are a couple guitars and a beat box) is singing this song in church on Sunday.  We practiced last night and I love how the song turns the verse above into a prayer.  It is now stuck in my head.  I hope it gets stuck in your head, becomes your prayer and blesses you and if you want to come to second service at Mt. Vernon on Sunday, it can bless you there too :-)






No comments: