Thursday, September 07, 2017

Do We Need Healing?


There are times in history when it seems like we need healing more than ever before.  Whether it is in our personal or family lives, in our places of employment, or as a nation, we are in desperate need of healing.

Across our country at this moment in history pain is everywhere -- natural disasters, dissension, racism, and I refuse to even talk about politics.   Very few would disagree with the statement, "We need healing."

At this time I work I am seeing a need for the healing of relationships between coworkers, the need for healing for the children and families we serve, the healing from past hurts, the healing from a dysfunctional system.

At my church and in our community we are all hurting from the sudden loss of one of the greats.  Since 1971 he faithfully served our congregation, our city and his coworkers.   He was a substitute Dad and Grandpa to many.   It wasn't supposed to go like that ... we had plans for years to come.

I won't share any details, but family has a need for healing and I know that you have those needs in your family.

As I was praying this morning, the words to the song below which are from 2 Chronicles 7:14 popped into my mind.
if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
I noticed a few things I hadn't noticed before.  This verse provides a formula for healing that involves:

1)  The WHO.  God isn't expecting those who are not called by His name to do anything.... He's saying ... if a land is to be healed then YOU -- you who call yourself by my name.... here's what you need to do.   I understand that this is Old Testament and God was referring to the people of Israel, but I'm pretty sure that those of us who are called "Christian" fit into this category.  It's pretty obvious that we are called by Christ's name when his name is part of the word.

2)  The WHAT.   Three things.   Pray.  Seek God's Face.  Turn from wickedness.

3)  The HOW.   In Humility.   Humbling ourselves -- oh so incredibly hard to do in the midst of conflict. "I am the one who is right after all" is almost always at the center of conflict, whether it is on a personal or a global scale.

So, what is the result if we follow this formula?  God hears.  God forgives.  God heals.

The formula to healing begins with me.   I can't point the finger and say that someone else needs to do something if healing is going to happen, I need to take that upon myself.   If I am called by God's name I need to humble myself, to pray, seek God's face, and to turn from any wickedness.   I can encourage others to do the same, but that's not the main thing God wants me to do.  What He is asking me to do is very clear.

I'm sure the song will be in my head all day today:




No comments: