Monday, December 26, 2016

Feel Poured Out?

I read this passage this week and I have been thinking about it for days. I don’t remember reading it ever before, though I must have as I have read the Bible through many times. But this time it really struck me.

Isaiah 58:10-11 says:

If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday. And the Lord will guide you continually and satisfy your desire in scorched places and make your bones strong; and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water whose waters do not fail. ESV

I don’t think this was a promise…. In other words I don’t think God is saying to us, “pour yourself out for the hungry, satisfy the desire of the afflicted, so that you will have your light rise, your gloom dissipate, your desires satisfied, your way guided by the Lord, your bones strong, and feel like a well watered garden whose waters don’t fail.”

Instead, I think that Isaiah is letting us know that if we find ourselves at that place — that place where we have poured ourself out for others…. when we feel spent, dark, gloomy, scorched, week, and parched — that God shows up… He shows up to light our darkness and gloom. He comes to satisfy us, to make us stronger, to water us so that we become like a spring of water that never fails.”

I don’t know how you feel about 2016. Maybe you feel like it was a train wreck. If so, claim the words above for 2017. Maybe you have poured yourself out at work or at home for those who are hungry for love or for those who are afflicted. I know it certainly applies to adoptive and foster parents and to those who work in the helping profession.

But guess what? If you are feeling those things, that means that God has, does, and will show up. Count on it.

When things get dry during the coming year and there are times when you feel parched, check out this song…..

God’s river will be there…. to set your feet dancing, to feel your heart with cheer, feel your mouth with laughter….

Upward and onward!

No comments: