Monday, May 14, 2018

Not Easily Angered

I attended a seminar on anger way back in 1996 right after we started doing foster care.  The presenter held up an orange and asked, “If I squeeze this, what will come out?”  The response, obviously, is orange juice.  He went on to explain that if anger comes out of you, it’s because it was in there in the first place.  

Considering how many times I had become instantly furious with the then 16 year old we had in our home for a period of time I realized that there must be anger in there somewhere.   I had a reality check when I recognized just how many things I had become resentful about and realized that it was no wonder that all my anger was coming out.  

As you know, we have had many kids who have done way worse things than Chris, our former foster son, even knew how to do.  But two things have helped me to not respond in anger.  The first one is to make sure that my inner life is not filled with anger and resentment that has nothing to do with my children.   And the second is love that has grown over time.

The more we love someone the more grace we give them and the less time it takes us to become angry with them.   Because, you see, as 1 Corinthians ove is not easily angered.

I challenge you today to do an inventory of what is inside your heart.  If it is full of anger, bitterness, frustration and resentment, than anger is going to be your instant response when life squeezes you.   

And finally, the next time you encounter someone you love who has done something that frustrates you, let love be your guide.

No comments: