Thursday, February 04, 2021

Feeling Never Ending Pressure?


 



Have some stress in your life and wondering how you can possibly carry it all?  This is what happened to Moses  Exodus 18 and his father-in-law was observing the whole thing.  Moses was surrounded by people all day long asking him to talk to God for them and settle their disputes.  It was his job to interpret God’s word for everyone.   He was getting pretty tired.

So Jethro, his father-in-law gives him two pieces of advice, one that I’ll share today and the other tomorrow.

Moses' father-in-law said to him, “What you are doing is not good. You and the people with you will certainly wear yourselves out, for the thing is too heavy for you. You are not able to do it alone.  Now obey my voice; I will give you advice, and God be with you! You shall represent the people before God and bring their cases to God,  and you shall warn them about the statutes and the laws, and make them know the way in which they must walk and what they must do. 

Jethro was warning Moses that everyone was not heading into a good place with Moses carrying all that weight.   He wanted Moses to recognize that God was going to be with him — that he was doing the right things — but that if he kept doing them the same way he was going to wear himself and everyone else out.

Sometimes the first step is simply acknowledging that we can’t do it alone.  God’s got us.

Check out these lyrics from Jeremy Camp's song, "Out of My Hands" -- or watch the video.

Every day this never-ending pressure
Tries to take its claim over my heart
I have tried to hold it all together
But time and time again I fall apart
But that's where I find my life was never mine at all
You are the one inside always in control
So, when it feels like all of this pain is never gonna end
Brought to my knees by all of these things
I don't understand, don't understand
I will let the weight of my fear fall like sand
Out of my hands and into Yours
Out of my hands and into Yours
Letting go of worries I can't measure
Holding onto truth that's healing me
Knowing I can trust You is a treasure
With eyes wide open now I finally see
It's here that I find my life was never mine at all
You're still the one inside always in control
So, when it feels like all of this pain is never gonna end
Brought to my knees by all of these things
I don't understand, don't understand
I will let the weight of my fear fall like sand
Out of my hands and into Yours
Out of my hands and into Yours
Take this out of my hands
Take this out of my hands
Take this out of my hands
It's out of my hands
There ain't nothing that You can't handle
God, You are strong enough
Only You can take this out of my hands, out of my hands
You're greater than all my sorrows
Worthy of all my trust
Thank You, Lord, that this is out of my hands, out of my hands
Take this out of my hands
Take this out of my hands
Take this out of my hands
It's out of my hands

It would be great if we all listened to this song and then those words got stuck in our head as a reminder all day….



No comments: