Friday, February 05, 2021

Living like the Lone Ranger?


Do you often live like the Lone Ranger (sorry, that probably dates me) in that you don’t like to ask for help?  There is some wisdom about this in the book of Exodus Chapter 18.

Yesterday I wrote about what Jethro told Moses when he realized that Moses and his people were wearing themselves out.   He had two  things he recommended …. One was to acknowledge that Moses needed to rely on God and His wisdom and power.

Here is the second part of Jethro’s advice:

Moreover, look for able men from all the people, men who fear God, who are trustworthy and hate a bribe, and place such men over the people as chiefs of thousands, of hundreds, of fifties, and of tens.  And let them judge the people at all times. Every great matter they shall bring to you, but any small matter they shall decide themselves. So it will be easier for you, and they will bear the burden with you.   If you do this, God will direct you, you will be able to endure, and all this people also will go to their place in peace.”

Obviously this is one of the first lessons in delegation in the Scripture, but I think it is more than that.  Even when people around us are so busy that we can’t delegate to them (or we have no authority to do so) we can still allow people to bear burdens with us.  I have been blessed by several of you who have done this for me over the years.   You allow me to process things verbally and you give me insights into how I can think differently about situations.

So if you’re wearing yourself out, it could be because you are not allowing God to bless you with other people in your life who can bear your burdens with you.

Reminds me of this song which I have shared with you before but it’s so very true.  Even though it’s repetitive, the words that get stuck in our heads are important ones.

I need you, you need me, I need you to survive….



No comments: