Monday, February 15, 2021

Grace Plus


 Anybody else raised in an environment where following the rules was the most important thing you had to do?

Don’t drink, smoke or chew, or hang out with those who do?  

I’m raising my hand right now.  

This weekend I read a book called “Falilng Into Grace” by Jay Bakker and the author calls this “Grace Plus.”

All you need to get to heaven is grace plus (fill in the blank)

I grew up knowing that I needed grace plus daily devotions.

Grace plus wearing dresses

Grace plus avoiding movies, dancing, and “sinful music”

Grace plus abstinence from anything that could harm the “temple of the Holy Spirit”

While I am not suggesting that some of the things I listed are important and Biblical it’s the word plus that is the challenge.

Because even if I had smoked, chewed tobacco, wore pants, went to movies, danced, and listened to the devil’s music… and never had devotions — I would still have been a recipient of grace.

Grace period.  Not grace plus.   It’s an eye opening away to approach life.  You’ll hear more about grace in the coming days, but maybe today it’s time for us to all realize once again that it’s nothing but grace.   Nothing.

This song always reminds me of our days in Mankato.... I learned this at that church!




No comments: