Wednesday, July 06, 2016

There are some songs you just shouldn't sing

In February of 2014 I fell in love with the song “Oceans.” I sang it. With sincerity. And in March of that year something horrible happened at work that led to six very difficult months. In September of that year I blogged about that.

On May 31st I sent the youtube of the song "Keep Making Me" to my staff.

It starts like this….

Make me broken
So I can be healed

and goes on to say
Make me empty
So I can be filled

and later says
Make me lonely
So I can be Yours


I sang that song on March 31st and since then God has been continually breaking me. Painful, some of the hardest stuff I’ve ever been through in my life (and I’ve been through some stuff!). So I got to thinking this morning, that sometimes there are songs you just shouldn’t sing, because God does hear and answer our prayers... even if they are hidden inside the latest greatest CCM top 40 song.

I didn’t really want to be broken. I wanted to be strong, and right, and proud, and confident, and in control. I wanted to be victorious and rejoice in my progress.

But over the past three months, I have been broken. I have felt empty. I have been lonely. And I am counting on the fact that God heard the “’tils” in the song.

The ‘tils are these:

‘Til You are my one desire
‘Til You are my one true love
‘Til You are my breath, my everything
Lord, please keep making me

And I am praying that I am there. At least for this go around. That HE has become my one desire, my one true love, my breath, my everything.

You may have heard me say in the past that I strive to be a “both ... and” person, instead of an “either ... or” person.

And yesterday I found myself singing this song…. on one of the toughest days I can remember in a long time.

“I am free to run, I am free to dance.” and I thought “Where did that come from?????”

And then I realized that we can be broken….. and free to dance.

We can be lonely … and free to live for Jesus

We can be empty …. and free to run.…. .all at the same time.

So today I share this song with you… Remember that you are free… not just on the days when you are feeling great and there isn’t a cloud in the sky — but on the darkest days of your life.

YOU ARE FREE!

No comments: