Saturday, July 13, 2019

Got Godly Parents?


I grew up with amazing godly parents. And I know that some of you do too because I know your parents!

My dad went to heaven 6 years ago at the age of 90 and my mom is currently 90 and going strong at a nursing home in Minnesota. They were incredible people. If you are really interested in hearing more, an old blog entry can give you details about them

When I ask myself the question, “What did your parents teach you?” many things come to mind. My mom taught me about remaining positive and hopeful no matter what and how to be resilient. My dad taught me how to find humor in everything and how to remain humble and kind. They also taught me a lot about money and what it is and isn’t for. They both taught me to obey God and follow Jesus to places unknown because life is an adventure.

Both of them were impressionable young people during the depression, so they were FRUGAL. Money was not to be spent on anything extra, and nothing that could be reused should ever be thrown away. They consistently had this approach to bills:

The paychecks came in and they paid their tithe.

Then they sent checks to support the missionaries they had committed to support.

Then they paid bills.

Whatever was left we had for groceries. Period. Some weeks we didn’t have meet to eat because the grocery budget was small, but we always supported the missionaries.  As I indicate more than once, they never hesitated to help others in need.

Some of you absolutely cannot donate to this fundraiser because of your financial situation yet your heart is really all about kids from hard places. And there is no criticism or shame on my part.

And I know that some of you who have given, have done so sacrificially — as you can see if you look through the history of those who have given, most have given a small gift.

Today I donated $25 to a fundraiser for some friends. A few days ago I gave $10. Last week I gave $25 to something else. A little bit is an encouragement and it helps. And, as i learned from my parents, giving, even when you don’t have an abundance of money, is a privilege and a blessing …. not just for the receiver but for the giver. 

So you know how this ends…. Did you have godly parents? What did they teach you? How about giving in honor of them to benefit children who don’t have the same blessings you did growing up?

Kids safe. Families strengthened and restored. A community of faithful relationships. That is my heartbeat and the heartbeat of our organization.

Think about giving .... if you want more information on the fundraiser click here.

No comments: